Re-reading ???

I grew up in a house without a bookshelf. No, we didn’t keep books in a pile on the floor or in a cupboard; and there were no trips to the library outside of what was compulsory at school. We simply did not have books. My parents are non-readers. My siblings are non-readers. I married a non-reader. So when my husband asks me why I am reading a book I have already read, I am quite prepared with a response because explaining reading for pleasure is a favourite past time of mine.ย

This is how I explained it to my husband: “How many times have we watched Friends or Seinfeld despite having already seen every episode? Or how many times have you watched Training Day or Forrest Gump?”

Simple.

But the thing I have discovered is that not every reader is a re-reader. A few of my close friends don’t re-read at all. I guess we are all a little bit different with that.

I myself was today gathering some books from the bottom shelf of my bookcase to take a pic for instagram (@readthewriteact fyi) when I saw my Sookie Stackhouse books. I instantly thought how much I wanted to re-read them (again) despite my TBR list being about as long as my arm. The spines are practically destroyed but I don’t care these books never fail to put me in a happy place.

I am a re-reader. If you understand how reading a dog-eared, tea stained book can be pure joy then you must be a re-reader too. Let me know if you are and how you explain it to non-readers. What is your favourite re-read? Or maybe you grew up in house of non-readers too? Share your thoughts and inspirations below.

And as always happy reading xย

14 thoughts on “Re-reading ???

1. Julia says:

This is a great discussion! I don’t tend to re-read, although I think I would like to. There are definitely a few books I would like to revisit, but I do worry they won’t be the same second time around. I do like your TV show analogy – I tend to re-watch repeats even when there are new episodes available, reruns are just easy and comforting to watch ๐Ÿ™‚ I will re-read a book one day!

Liked by 1 person

2. Caron Bull says:

I’m currently rereading The Mortal Instruments, having just finished City of Bones earlier today. I hope to start City of Ashes by this weekend. My review books take precedence though so when I do reread, I always take longer than I did the first time I read it. I’ve read TFIOS about 3 times and I can’t remember if I read The Hobbit twice or thrice. I do remember that my friend and I were debating over who actually died at the end and I just had to reread the ENTIRE book to see who was right (both of us were, we just missed out on a few people). I hope to reread Jane Eyre this coming winter.
    On re-watching TV Shows…I’m current re-watching about 5 series I grew up with. ๐Ÿ˜› Great post btw!

Liked by 1 person

• readthewriteact says:

The Mortal Instruments series is one of my fav re-reads! I currently have it on loan atm. I am re-watching Outlander and just finished re-entering Hart of Dixie. My next TV series re-watch will be Dawsons Creek I think ๐Ÿ˜‚

Liked by 1 person

• Caron Bull says:

I restarted Drake & Josh a few days ago and I’m also going through Fresh Prince, The Nanny and Kim Possible again. Because I never watched it when I was younger, I started Law & Order: SVU as well. I’m nearly done with Season 2. I’ve never watched Outlander because the book is sitting on my shelves waiting to be read.

Liked by 1 person

3. Marianne Curley says:

I grew up in a house without books too. I was the only reader in my family of three siblings and two parents. I discovered books at my school library when I was eight and never stopped reading. You might like my website page called: YA Books you can read more than once. My favourite re-read when I was younger was “Katherine” by Anya Seton. Today I’m much busier and find it hard to re-read a favourite, as much as I would like to.

Liked by 1 person

4. bethlily96 says:

I tend to re-read my favourite books, or ones that I really loved. At this moment in time I am currently re-reading Poison, Charm and Beauty by Sarah Pinbrough (I read this trilogy in 2015 and loved it. Decided to give them another go), and there are a few others on my shelves that I want to re-read this year (Harry Potter (for the millionth time), All The Bright Places, Silverfin and a few others). There is something so wonderful about slipping back into a world that you have loved for years. It’s like reconnecting with an old friend that you’ve lost touch with. Great post ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

5. Dacian says:

Interesting! Never thought about it like that! I think I am one too. I know I was looking for a specific edition of my favourite book (My Name Is Red) for a while until I found the one I had fallen in love with. Nice post!

Liked by 1 person

6. readinginthewings says:

I LOVE SOOKIE!!! I am currently reading the series for the first time, and loving every minute of it. My favorite re-read is Harry Potter. I’ve read the entire series 5 times, and will continue to re-read them forever. They are my soul medicine.